Created:Monday, May 6, 2013 9:29 p.m.CDT

Cary-Grove lacrosse tops Prairie Ridge

Lathan Goumas - Holden Taylor, of Cary-Grove High School, is hit by a player from Prairie Ridge High School during a match in Cary, Ill. on Monday, May 6, 2013. Cary-Grove defeated Prairie Ridge 11-6. (Lathan Goumas)

CARY – Holden Taylor and Trevor Dorn have played enough lacrosse together to make setting one another up for scoring chances almost second nature.

But give the two Cary-Grove teammates the added luxury of the kind of offensive surge the Trojans put together against Prairie Ridge and the tandem becomes that much more dangerous.

The Trojans reeled off seven unanswered goals while their defense kept Prairie Ridge from ever getting into any sort of rhythm in an 11-6 IHSLA victory Monday night at Galway Park.

C-G (7-2), bounced back after falling behind 2-1 early in the first quarter following Wolves' goals by Tate Nolan and Ryan Skiermanski. That's when the Trojans went on their run, sparked by Taylor, who scored five goals – four which came during the pivotal stretch.

"It was definitely good to get into a rhyhm for a while," Taylor said. "And once we got it going, the goals just kept coming and that gave us some separation for the rest of the game."

Alec Johnson, who also scored three goals, tallied two scores before Dorn capped the 7-0 turnaround, giving the Trojans a 9-2 lead.

Having to play from behind early gave C-G all the motivation to get things rolling. Once the Trojans did, they didn't stop.

"Any time we go down, we don't get down on ourselves – we have the offensive players to score and so we kept our heads up," said Dorn, who finished two goals and five assists. "Things started opening up, the cuts were there and the offense started clicking. We just kept playing."

The Wolves (6-3) finally ended the surge with back-to-back goals by Skiermanski – the first which came while P-R held a two-man advantage – cutting the deficit to 9-4 in the closing minutes of the third quarter.

Prairie Ridge coach Kevin Sande sensed an opening, but knew the Wolves would have to generate some fast offense before C-G could get back on track.

"I wish we could have gotten going earlier, but we kind of [fizzled] out after our first two goals," Sande said. "I told them to play with their heart and to make sure they left everything they had out on the field and unfortunately, a lot of them said they didn't feel like they did."

Just when Prairie Ridge showed signs of life, the Trojans responded with two goals of their own to start the fourth quarter to push the lead back to seven goals. Taylor took a pass from Dorn for his fifth goal.

The Wolves again closed the gap as Skiermanski registered his fourth goal before Joe Yeschek added a late score. But by then, it was much too late as C-G never relented once it got its offense rolling the way the Trojans know they can.

"I think we feel pretty confident in ourselves," C-G coach Dylan Weber said. "We feel like maybe we should have one less loss, but we're still feeling good and after today, w feel a little bit better about ourselves."